Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blogs: Why I am an Atheist

Now the title would have you think that I am an atheist, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I not only believe in God, but I also believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord. The reason behind the title is from the blogs and articles I have read on how people have become atheists from false information and theology. I don't read these articles to try my faith or see if their thoughts are true, it's more for me to understand what is causing people to lose their faith so Jesus can make me be a better teacher in the future.

When a person wants to become an expert or be knowledgable in an area, they usually begin to study that subject before they try to teach or speak to others about the topic. For me, this is the same reason why I read these articles...you have to know what you are up against before you can try and speak to someone who doesn't believe. However, I do believe when you talk to people about Jesus, it is Jesus and the Holy Spirit that are talking through you, not you talking to them. But because we are human and in the flesh, when we are asked questions that throw us for a loop we panic. That panic causes us to not know the answer and it makes atheists feel like the bullet hole they just shot in our faith is a reason for them not to believe.

Most of the time atheists, Christians, and gentiles get their information from other people who are not true believers in the first place. Some will say, well they go to church and they do good things in their life, so they must be believers. This is certainly not the case and that is what they want you to think. Because they are messed up on the inside and in their own personal lives, they put on a front in front of others.

The articles I have read on why these people have become atheists have had the same consistent message each time, "I was weighed down in always trying to do what Jesus wanted me to do and I found no freedom in that. Once I believed that Jesus wasn't real, I found my life to open up to freedoms I never knew." I have a hard time understanding and digesting that answer because it is not you who makes yourself change it is Jesus. If you are trying to make these changes yourself, then you really never let Jesus take control. This is why you never were able to make the change and felt like there was no freedom.

I find it interesting that people that lose their faith often criticize one specific time or position. One of the articles I read said that he lost his faith because God couldn't explain to him why He took his mother early in life. I haven't faced the same situation as he has, but my faith and logic leads me to believe we all die on time for God's glory. Sometimes I think people get more upset at the fact that their loved ones weren't believers, and knowing this makes us sad to know they will not enter the kingdom of heaven. When this occurs, we think "how can God in all His glory not save someone who is dear to us or who was in general a good person?" My question would be, what does God owe us? I know that is a tough answer but seriously what does He owe us? The fact that He even loves me is enough for me to be humbled because I suck. When you messed up as a kid, your parents still loved you because you were their child, how is it any different for God?

The fact is, that there is freedom in searching for Christ and Him calling you to be saved. A real Christian will let you know they are as jacked up as any other person in the world, but sanctification is a long-term process, not an overnight change. If you believe that good Christians never or hardly ever sin, you are mistaken...but we give it all over to Christ to help us to become more like Him. The fact that we cannot be perfect keeps us from becoming too prideful and forgetting why Christ died for us in the first place.

My freedom is knowing that Jesus has taken control of my life and His will controls it. I don't have to worry about what I am doing in a year because He has set the path, and I just have to follow it because He would never lead me astray. I also know, because of my flesh, I am going to fall off track myself and when I do, that is when things will go bad...not because that was His plan, but because I tried to be the God of my own life. I will say it's tough giving your life over to Christ because you would want to control it, but to say I want to have control over my life is also saying I know more than you do Lord...and we couldn't be more wrong.

I also know that being a Christian does't mean I will live a life full of prosperity and goodness. Look at the prophets and apostles of the bible. Many of them were oppressed and often killed because of their faith, but isn't that what we owe to a King who did the same for us already? That would be the most extreme, but can we not give over our comfortable American lives to serve God? Can we not put aside our wants to do God's will and possibly still achieve the same thing we want. I do believe God rewards those who truly submit to His will, and I am not talking about money. Remember we can't take our riches with us when we die, so store your riches up in Heaven, but do it for Christ not yourself.

I am not perfect and I am just as sinful as any other person, and I know that one day I should have to answer for my sins...but because of my faith in Christ, Jesus has taken that blame and made me new in God's eyes and the sanctification process is in place. If you think that YOU have chosen Christ and YOU are doing God's will, then you may want to reevaluate your relationship with God. It is Christ that saves YOU so that God can work His will through you. It is by GRACE that you are saved so that no man can boast in his good works.


If you are on the fence about becoming a believer or are an atheist, you should ask these questions: What do I know about the God of the Universe, is it scripturally sound? What I mean by scripturally sound is not a excerpt from the bible but the "theme", if you will, from the message? If not, pray and search for the correct answers in the bible. When I was a believer was I still trying to control my life or was I giving my life to Christ everyday? If you are unsure, maybe it's time to ask Christ to enter your life again. God loves each and every one of us. He know us by name and knows every single hair on our bodies. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but if your friend laid down his life for you, wouldn't you owe your friend your life? If your mom or dad laid down their lives for you, wouldn't you owe them your life? How can we not do the same for Christ?

It't not about getting the most out of life, it's about repaying a debt to the one who paid your debt for you. You would do it for a friend or family member and never think twice, why should we be any different because other say it isn't so? If I told you that you don't have to repay your friend or family member who saved your life, would you listen to me? I am not telling you to become a Christian, I am only asking that you search for Christ...Christ will do the rest!

Glory always be to God!

3 comments:

  1. 1) If Jesus is in control, we don't make decisions. -OR- If we are in control, Jesus doesn't make decisions. This is not a belief...this is a dependency. You believe that you are in control, or that you are not in control, and depending on your situation, it comforts you.

    2) People die because things die. It is not your belief or prayers that prolong life. If life were extended by prayer, people would live to 1,000+ years old. They don't. Prayer works when it's convenient. To you. Not God. If your prayers aren't answered, "it's just not what was in God's plan." If prayers are answered, "praise be to God! Our prayers were answered!" Flip a coin...you get the same solution.

    I have searched for Jesus Christ. and I will say this: Since I gave up on Jesus Christ (not God, mind you), I have become far more happy, far more financially secure, and far more complete as a person. And scripturally speaking...Jesus would abide...believe me...i asked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, and i know I am not trying to say who's right or wrong, just discuss our beliefs. As for your comments, I understand where you are coming from because a long time ago I felt the same way.

    As for your first point, true Christians don't play the game of what I want is what Jesus wants. We allow total submission to Christ. Total submission means Jesus leads and we follow all the time and not only when it's convenient but every day.

    When I pray for something I know that I am praying for what I WANT to happen but I know it may not be God's will. Yes you can flip a coin and have the same result, but often times we pursue whatever we want anyways. When it's God's will it is so much easier to accomplish the goal. In other words we can still get what we want without God, but the road is always harder. But it seems that path causes us to lose something in the end...spouse, dreams, and even ourselves. Without putting God in a box, any prayer is possible, but it's about what we deserve and His will (we deserve nothing).

    I find it interesting that you say you gave up on Christ and not God but they are one in the same. In genesis God spoke and Jesus acted. There was and is a perfect balance between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, thus making them equally God.

    Anyone can be happy or feel more happy in their financials, life, and ect. without God. But that's what satan wants you to believe. If not everyone would turn to Christ. Now I assume you believe in satan if you still believe in God. My question would be that if you say God abides in you not needing Jesus, that would contradict scripture. And if you don't believe in scripture that doesn't bother you, but let me ask you this. Do you really think it's only a coincidence that a man would disrupt a centuries old religion, be nailed to a cross for no crime, and have more followers than any other religion in the world? If that's the case why don't we see more stories like Jesus? My belief would be His apostles only began to believe because they saw Him alive after His death. If not they would have never continued to preach His word. Jesus' name and position would have died with Him on the cross if it wasn't true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friendly blog tip: don't feed trolls.

    ReplyDelete